[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] Re:J Class

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Wed Apr 8 10:35:55 BST 2009

 From he other list.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gwyn Lewis" <g.lewis530 at ntlworld.com>
Date: 8 April 2009 10:21:58 BST
To: <BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BIship] Re:J Class

Salaams,

I sailed on Juwara's last voyage of as 5 E/O. She had twin 9 cylinder
Sulzers SG58's and I can remember the electricians indignation when
chiefy tried using the magnetic coupling to see if it was possible to
"bump start" the port engine. The engine room filled with smoke from
several burnt out coils. I think the elect engineer was either John
Lewis, a fellow Welshman,or "Chip" Carpenter. It was a good excuse to
use up spares if nothing else!!
They were fairly fast vessels and the coupling made for easier
manouevring. Though I believe the starboard engine had been severly
damaged when it went over speed during a start up in Aussie and she
had to sail on one engine whilst it was being rebuilt. Afterwards a
hammer was always positioned near the governor when kicking over on
starting air. Something that seems to have been lost in this computer
age!!

Gwyn Lewis