[BITList] How the Internet got its rules

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 07:54:31 BST 2009

G'day folks,

A story of interest just to hand.....folowed by an answer from me...in
the next msg.

Hi John,

     An interesting read.
I'd forgotten much of this so am thankful for the reminder of 'where
it all started' etc.

     Jan 1968 I started work 'on loan' at the Redfern Mail Exchange. I
say 'on loan', as i had 'escaped' the clutches of our affeared
Divisional god (Engineer), right under his most-annoyed nose. I was
'on loan' supposedly for two years. However that eventually became
twelve years, & 'signed over' to the inept clutches of the eventual
Australia Post.

     Telecomm Techs were prominent in those days at the SME (Although
often referred to as the RME it was in fact the "Sydney Mail
Exchange"). Resplendent in white dust coats, name badges & sundry
implements-of-torture, like screwdrivers & other teknikel stuff.

     It was these mottly assortment of life-kinds, that over a period
of years turned a disaster into one of the most prestigious pieces of
technological applications of it's time.

A miss-sort ratio of over 18%, together with a damage rate in the
letter handling system approaching similar or higher figures, was
reduced to very small fractions of one percentum.

     I mention the above as sort of 'background information'.

During 1968 to 1980 I worked on most of the stuff there, & for a time
was a shift leader of the Service Centre. We were responsible for all
fault clearance off-floor (ie equipment that needed to be repaired,
that had been replaced by spare items drwan from stores), as well as
quality control of repaired items going back into stores. 30% of which
we didn't repair ourselves.

     The 'computer' that was the heart of the letter-handling system
consisted of two large drums, with steel bands around the
circumference. these bands held the data. The drums ran at fairly high
speed & required special oil bath for suspension. A wall of racked
equipment handled the data flow & was if you like the equivalent of
the motherboard.

     I later joined another section, where we were responsible for all
electronic/electrical control system design & implementation for Aust
Post NSW. During the mid-1970's we were building our own computers,
working purely in machine code language. The technique utilised in
those days for fabrication was 'wire-wrap'. this is where connections
are made by wrapping a wire tightly around a square post terminal.
Literally hundreds of thousands of such terminations were made on
various computerised control systems during my time there.

     You will easily recognise the fact that the Aust Post logo was
dreampt (bud spolleng!) up by one of our illustrious technical folk.
As you look at the logo, you will observe a cup, & snail.
The snail denotes the 'other' life-forms found at the SME; the
'mailees'.
The cup of course is representative of the 'smoko'. Always timed to
coincide with the crouds of visitors on tour through the place. Not
for them, but so we could sit/lie & laze about, watching them as they
tried to not notice our obvious 'not-doing-anything-useful-at-all'
state.

     I recently obtained a DVD copy from Sound & Film Archives on the
SME. Brings back memories of a different time. It's all gone now. to
the tip. Millions of dollars of technology the rest of the world came
to see. Malcolm Fraser once quoted "Life wasn't meant to be easy".
I used to break that down in stages, as the SME was dispersed into
suburbia; hurriedly disbanded into rented quickly-modified factories
etc.

"Life wasn't meant to be"
"Life wasn't meant, too"
"Life wasn't meant..."
"Life...?.."

     What had once been a place the rest of the world came to see was
destroyed by the stroke of a pen. They went back 30 years, to manual
sorting. The only 'modern' technology retained was the Toshiba Mail
Sorting equipment (This equipment found the stamp & faced up the
letters, at a rate of up to 26,000 per hour), & some very basic
storage conveyors.
I was responsible for the relocation & recommissioning of these
machines, in their new suburban dwellings around Sydney.

Eventually new equipment was introduced (French I think), to do a
postcode-recognition & sort.

Kind regards,

Noel

ooroo