[BITList] again

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 6 08:33:24 BST 2009

David,

It's all to do with aesthetics and symmetry and possibly aerodynamics.  A
flag (or jack) the right way round on the stbd side might cause a drag
tending to turn the plane to stbd (or do planes turn to the right?).  Ships
don't go fast enough, though some BI Cs achieved pretty impressive speeds if
one believes everything written.

While I drew ships port side on when young, as an engineer, in various
drawing offices, I drew and visualised them stbd side on as did all of my
colleagues.  The ship DO drew them the other way round. I used to know the
reason for this, but not now.  Until the days of CAD it could be a right
bugger reversing the steelwork drawings, but when things were on screen it
was a simple procedure.  The main result of all this was that plan views
(the main views) were aft to the left.  Other views were ad lib and mostly
on different drawings.  Projection of one view from another was never used -
we spent hours at tech drawing evening classes projecting elevations and
sections from plans, only to find such techniques weren't used in the real
world.