[BITList] £10 Poms

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 14:57:28 BST 2008

Salaams John,
???????????????????? the simple reason I mentioned ten pound pom's because its what my two uncles were. My Dad had five brothers with only two not being old enough for war service, he had three sisters, two of who's husbands were also in the forces, all six of them returned without a scratch, no mean feat in those days, especially when you think of the decimation caused in the mill towns of Lancashire thanks to the Pals battalions during the first world war. All had trouble finding work in Churchill's 'Land fit for Heroes' with only my Dad finding skilled work, both Jack and Tom decided that they'd had enough and opted out, all credit to them, in those days it was a bloody long way and my Gran never really got over it. Its unbelievable the things that happen, I'd never heard of Gympie as I've already stated, thanks to an ex pat Aussie appearing on Bargain Hunt today I now know its pronounced Jimpie and not Gimpie as I'd originally thought, the fact she came out with it as her place of birth bloody floored me, I'll be doing lottery tomorrow, I'm a firm believer in coincidences. Just came in for a grass cutting break, back off out, hopefully it will be the last cut of the year, that is of course unless global warming kicks in!