[BITList] Lloyds

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:05:47 BST 2008

The below article was sent to you from Mike Feltham (mj.feltham at madasafish.com
) with the following message: I thought you might be interested in the
article below.

Protection from pirates would be a fitting tribute to modern seafarers
Monday 15 September 2008

ON THE Dover waterfront the other day, a beautiful memorial to the
dead of the British merchant navy was unveiled.

In the Second World War the merchant navy lost a higher proportion of
its workforce than any of the combatant services. This sacrifice,
commented a fine old chap interviewed by local television, had been
“largely forgotten”, as has the merchant navy itself. It is a
beautiful work of figurative sculpture, eminently more worthy of a
position on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square than the pretentious
rubbish that has occupied that site in recent years.

Of course, this collective amnesia about what we owe merchant mariners
is an international problem. Just the other day, on the embankment
opposite the International Maritime Organization, there was a group of
tourists being lectured by a guide. He was burbling on about the Tate
Gallery and MI6, and resolutely ignoring the important UN agency
across the road behind them all. There, on his green copper bow, his
heaving line on his arm, stands the international seafarer, looking
out over the Thames, and a memorial to all those thousands, from every
race and nationality, who have died at sea. If I had an ounce of
courage I would have urged them all to turn around and lectured them
on the significance of that lonely figure looking out of the IMO
building’s facade. But I hurried on and must be considered guilty for
my neglect.

But it is far from a matter of historical remembrance, this inability
to consider the importance of seafarers and the essential nature of
shipping. You might think of it as a contemporary ailment, as we take
what they do completely for granted. Look at what is going on, almost
on a daily basis, in the Gulf of Aden and off the Somali and Nigerian
coasts, with the local warlords picking off large merchant ships
practically at will. Who knows about this criminal ‘harvesting’ of
merchant mariners for ransom, along with their ships? And more to the
point, who is interested? Where are the stories of these criminal acts
in the newspapers and network TV stations?

It is over the horizon, outwith the understanding of those who will
confine their outpourings on marine transport to dashing off a few
hundred words on the evils of transport miles, or the frightfulness of
oil pollution.

There is a sort of grim parochialism that does not help, either.
Piracy was, albeit briefly, given some temporary exposure when a group
of German business folk on a chartered yacht off Sicily were held up
by some bandits in a rigid inflatable and relieved of a sizeable sum.
The seizure of a couple of French yachtsmen by the Somali pirates was
actually noticed by the mainstream media, which had conspicuously
failed to register the fact that there were some 180 merchant mariners
from ten big ships currently in the bloodstained hands of the
warlords, while negotiations for their ransom ground slowly on. But
nobody knows that they are there, because nobody thinks it that
interesting.

I am reminded of the 1990s and a particularly grim period in the
scandal of the bulk carrier sinkings, which naturally featured at some
length in this newspaper. After the loss of a couple of capesizes with
their entire crews, I was called up by a TV presenter from one of the
network channels, who seemed to think that this was a story worth
covering. I have to say I encouraged him in this belief and he turned
up in this office to determine the facts of the terrible losses, which
were running then at more than two bulkers every month.

Perhaps I had misled him, because as the interview progressed, it was
clear that what he was interested in was the loss of British bulk
carriers. There was the Derbyshire, of course, ten years previously,
but in the long list of sunken bulkers with which I presented him,
this was the only ship which flew the Red Ensign and in which Britons
had died. You could see his initial enthusiasm visibly waning and he
eventually closed his notebook and took his leave. There would be no
TV programme exposing this horror story, because dead foreign seamen
in foreign-flagged ships would not raise a flicker of interest in the
bored eyes of the producers, who like Roman emperors in the VIP seats
of the arena, would give the thumbs down to such a project, quick as
wink. Dead merchant mariners make no waves.

So if I was a Somali warlord, controlling a flotilla of small craft
running illegal immigrants, guns and narcotics into the Arabian
peninsular and trying to employ my heavily armed crews on the return
voyage in the absence of any paying backhaul cargo, I would be
avoiding headline grabbing prizes like yachts, or even cruiseships,
which would attract unwanted media attention. I would be focussing my
efforts on large slow merchant ships, the bigger the better, as
clearly size begets larger ransoms, and my activities would pass
almost unnoticed, except for the cursed IMO, the International
Maritime Bureau and a few interfering international shipping
organisations like BIMCO.

I would also be cautioning my captains to exercise a little care, as I
have determined that there is a level of violent piracy that the
authorities represented by the naval forces, seem able to tolerate, or
might at the very least be seen be seen as politically acceptable. I
would have made it clear that if some rash employee, out of his tiny
skull with an overdose of qat, fires a missile or RPG into a gas
carrier and sets it on fire, or inadvertently ignites a laden very
large crude carrier because he so lazy that he cannot be bothered to
climb up a ladder and stop it by holding a gun to the master’s head,
he better not bother coming home. We don’t want to unduly provoke the
infidel navies, or even frighten all the merchant ships around the Cape.

In my idle moments, I sometimes wonder whether such an imaginative
scenario might not have a touch of reality about it. Nearly 200
merchant seamen hostages is not an inconsequential number. If it had
been 200 French yachtspersons or cruise passengers being exposed to
heaven knows what frightfulness in some awful Somali coastal
settlement, there would be serious military action, because there
would be political pressure to intervene and end this nonsense.
Merchant seafarers do not register on the international outrage meter.

And it is not entirely because the warships that are in the region’s
waters are circumscribed in their actions, or, with the exception of a
German frigate, prohibited from beating up any pirates they encounter.
There are clearly not enough of them and they have other priorities,
like showing the flag in the Straits of Hormuz and keeping the peace
in the Gulf. A few frigates on passage or on patrol can have only a
limited ability to effectively police the large number of small craft
which may be fishermen, or traders, or combining this with an
opportunist act of piracy.

Despite the energetic efforts of IMO secretary-general Efthimios
Mitropoulos, who managed to activate the UN Security Council over the
issue of hot pursuit, it is still the paucity of naval resources which
gives the pirates the opportunities they need for a successful heist.
Nelson complained bitterly about his want of frigates, and those
operating naval assets in these troubled waters doubtless would
understand his dilemma perfectly. It is resources, tightly controlled
by those holding the naval purse strings, that will make the
difference here; resources that are activated only by political
pressure.

It is the fragmentation of the maritime industry that tends to act
against it in these circumstances. The hostage taking pirates have
taken ships from a dozen different flag states and their crews are no
more or no less representative of the seafaring population at large.
It is notable that the attacks upon two large Malaysian ships provoked
the despatch of a frigate from that country to reinforce the patrol
line. But a similar reaction from the Turks and Caicos, or a similarly
peace-loving open register might seem a trifle unlikely, in the case
of one of their ships being seized. It is when the chips are down and
ships are in trouble in the badlands that the civil authorities find
that their hands are tied. One wonders whether the pirates have made
the connections?

But all of this is very serious stuff. People have lost their lives
and it is a minor miracle more seamen have not come to a sticky end at
the hands of the pirates. British children still go to “pirate
parties” and romance about Long John Silver, but if you baled up their
21st century parents and told them that heavily armed villains were
capturing big modern merchant ships and holding their crews to ransom,
they would not believe you. And perhaps that is the trouble.

Seafarers, somehow, are expected to put up with this nonsense. But
this is one of the world’s major trade routes, for oil and gas,
containers and goodness knows what else. Have we got to convoy this
vast tonnage to prevent the pirates picking it off at will? Are we
going to see insurance interests getting nervous and whacking on huge
surcharges? Might we see a move to send ships around the Cape. All on
account of a gang of maritime bandits tooled up with modern weaponry.
Are the lives of merchant mariners not worth a bit of armed effort on
the Somali shore? Or, despite the reminders of figurative sculptures
on the IMO building and overlooking the Channel at Dover, have we just
forgotten to care about seafarers?

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.