[BITList] Cyclones and the Sundarbans

Robbo macrob37 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 5 13:31:25 BST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: bitlist-bounces at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com
[mailto:bitlist-bounces at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com] On Behalf Of John
Davison
Sent: Friday, 5 September 2008 7:41 PM
To: BITList; John Feltham
Subject: Re: [BITList] Cyclones and the Sundarbans

NOT SURE IF I EVER REPORTED THIS STORY ON BISHIP WEB .BUT THINKING OF
CYCLONES !!!!!

IN 63 I WAS C/O ON BRITISH HK FLAG SHIP , ASIA FIR EX DENHOLMS , WE HAD A
CARGO OF COAL FROM CHINGWENGCHOW NORTH CHINA , FOR CHITTAGONG , ON ARRIVAL
CTG WE AWAITED FOR A BERTH FOR SEVERAL DAYS , NO NEWS FROM THE AGENTS , AND
WE WERE NOT KEEPING ANY RADIO WATCH , THE MASTER A DRUNKEN /AUSSIE SCOT TOLD

ME TO GO ASHORE WITH THE PURSER AND SEE THE AGENTS , TO FIND OUT OUR FATE ,
WE HAD HAILED A PASSING LAUNCH AND PAID THE OPERATOR TO PUT MYSELF AND
PURSER ASHORE .

John

The name Asian Fir rings a bell somewhere with me. Did it ever lose a rudder
near HK around that time?
I was standing by on Dumra and have a photo of a rudderless ship taken from
near
Kai Tak runway where we were at the buoy while waiting for new boilers from
the UK.
There were 4 of us left to do fire watches 24 on 24 off. I did almost 12
months before going home on leave. A haaard life.

Beddie byes th' noo

Robbo