[BITList] Cyclones and the Sundarbans

John Davison davison.g at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 5 10:41:18 BST 2008

NOT SURE IF I EVER REPORTED THIS STORY ON BISHIP WEB .BUT THINKING OF
CYCLONES !!!!!

IN 63 I WAS C/O ON BRITISH HK FLAG SHIP , ASIA FIR EX DENHOLMS , WE HAD A
CARGO OF COAL FROM CHINGWENGCHOW NORTH CHINA , FOR CHITTAGONG , ON ARRIVAL
CTG WE AWAITED FOR A BERTH FOR SEVERAL DAYS , NO NEWS FROM THE AGENTS , AND
WE WERE NOT KEEPING ANY RADIO WATCH , THE MASTER A DRUNKEN /AUSSIE SCOT TOLD
ME TO GO ASHORE WITH THE PURSER AND SEE THE AGENTS , TO FIND OUT OUR FATE ,
WE HAD HAILED A PASSING LAUNCH AND PAID THE OPERATOR TO PUT MYSELF AND
PURSER ASHORE .

WHEN VISITING THE CHATTERERS AGENT TO MY HORROR I WAS TOLD THAT A CYCLONE
WAS EXPECTED TO HIT CTG THAT NIGHT ! AND THE PORT HAD BEEN CLOSED .

SELF AND PURSER WERE PUT UP IN FLEA BAG HOTEL , AND THE CYCLONE HIT US THAT
NIGHT , WHAT A NIGHT , ALL THE WINDOWS IN THE HOTEL WERE BROKEN AND THE ROOF
IN MANY PLACES BLOWN OFF .

THERE WAS  TERRIBLE DEVASTATION IN THE CITY , THE PAPERS SAID THAT 3O000 TO
50000 PEOPLE HAD DIED IN THE CTG AND COXS BAZAAR AREA .

I SPENT ONE WEEK IN CTG TRYING TO GET BACK TO MY SHIP , I SAW MANY DEAD
BODIES ON THE STREETS ,, THE WORST WERE THE ONES KILLED BY ELECTRIC CABLES
FALLING , AND THE BODIES LAY FOR MANY DAYS BEING ATTACKED BY WILD DOGS !!

I HIRED A COUNTRY CRAFT BOAT TO SAIL BACK TO THE SHIP , BUT MISJUDGED THE
TIME DOWN RIVER AND WENT UP AGAINST THE FLOOD TIDE AND ADVERSE WEATHER ,
WHAT HAS ALWAYS REMAINED IN MY MIND WAS THAT WHEN WALKING ALONG THE BEACH
FRONT WERE THE HUNDREDS PERHAPS THOUSANDS OF DEAD BODIES[ MUST HAVE BEEN
SIMILAR TO THE LANDINGS AT NORMANDY ] , MOSTLY FISHING FOLK AND PEOPLE IN
VILLAGES ON THE WATER FRONT , THE BODIES WERE BEING EATEN BY CRABS , IT TOOK
ME A LONG TIME TO EAT CRAB MEAT THEREAFTER !!.

WHEN I EVENTUALLY GOT BACK TO MY SHIP , WHICH SOMEHOW HAD SURVIVED , ] THE
CREW HAD ALL GONE TO THE BRIDGE DURING THE STORM , WHILE THE MASTER SLEPT
DRUNK IN HIS BUNK , THE SHIP HAD 12 SHACKLES PORT ANCHOR AND 14 STARBOARD ,
AND HAD BROUGHT UP IN MINIMUM DRAFT , ALMOST ALL THE PAINT WORK HAD BEEN
SHEARED OF ON THE MIDSHIP SUPERSTRUCTURE . MASTS AND FUNNEL ,, MY CABIN
FACING FORWARD ,,THE PORT HOLE HAD BEEN LEFT OPEN AND MY CABIN CLOTHES AND
OFFICE WERE RUINED .

THE SAME CAPTAIN [ CAME FROM STORNOWAY EX BEN LINE BUT GUESS HIS MIND HAD
GONE WITH THE BOOZE AND PERHAPS OTHER AILMENTS ] HAD AN EYE TATTOOED ON EACH
BUTTOCK , AND IN THE CENTRE OF HIS BACK ABOVE THE EYES WERE THE WORDS " I
CAN SEE YOU " HIS PARTY PIECE WHEN DRUNK WAS TO DROP HIS PANTS WAGGLE HIS
ARSE AND SHOUT I CAN SEE YOU !!HE HAD ALL SORTS OF OBSCENE TATTOOS OVER THE
REST OF HIS BODY .

I COULD RELATE MANY STORIES ABOUT THIS SHIP , AND COMING FROM THE BI IT WAS
A CULTURAL SHOCK .

BUT THAT'S LIFE , AND IN HINDSIGHT ALTHOUGH WISH IT HAD NOT HAPPENED ITS
PART OF LIFE'S EXPERIENCE .

THE ABOVE IS A TRUE STORY AND NO BULLSHIT .

SALAAMS

JOHN