[BITList] Some actual BI stuff

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 2 14:59:55 BST 2008

I've had a pile of books, papers, etc, sitting on a shelf for what must be a few years, and this morning I had a shufti through it on the lookout for something I'd mislaid.  I came across a photcopy of BI News, Issue 1, April 1949.

I got this from an older colleague in Kvaerner Govan's engine drawing office in the 1980s, after he learned both of us had been with BI.  In the copy were various papers that I photocopied with the rest, and the first of these was his shifting chit dated 28th June 1949 at Calcutta.  A. Reid (Alex), was informed, under instructions from the Managing Agents, that he was appointed 4th E/O of S.S. "Palamcotta" at a salary of Rupees 452/6/- per month on and from tomorrow the 29th inst. Please sign off, etc, (signature of Super not legible).  Please wait for Station Wagon at about 1/30pm.  S.S. Palamcotta is at lying at 10 G.R Moorings.  There are photos of Palamcotta ; Dumra in Bombay ; Shirala, Bombay, February 1948 ; Barpeta, October 1947 (his first ship) ; and Kampala.

Alex was a fair bit older than me and not as good natured as me.  When he was retiring he brought in a bottle or two of whisky and handed round drams.  Since I was driving, I thought it better to pass, but Alex was genuinely upset.  "You say you're ex-BI and you refuse a whisky !!"  It took me a while to pacify him and persuade him it was being ashore that had done it to me.  Eventually he poured me one, but he was wary of me.