[BITList] Computer Problems

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 29 09:29:22 GMT 2008

Wednesday morning (bloody cold !!),

John,

My computer problems turn out to be very inconvenient, but not terminal.
Indications are, that the mother board is kaput or very ill.  I have
installed my broadband on the spare machine from the CD (with surprisingly
little trouble) and I've got Outlook Express up and working on it.
MailWasher has also been transferred to it (if not, god knows how it got
there) but it will only take its mail input from Yahoo, which is OK for now,
since I can get my mail via Yahoo.  It's a slow machine with very little
RAM, but it works. My main HD is communicating with all this via a caddy,
but it can't run the computer from there.  My next step will be to somehow
get my Outlook Express address book imported from the HD in the caddy, then
I'll copy my Documents, etc, over as backup. I was caught without a boot or
rescue disk, a salutary lesson.  You'll have noted that the production of
such is not on the preceding list. In the middle of all this I was reminded
of the famous SS Fazilka tailshaft repair.  I certainly used as many tools
as they did.