[BITList] When is a boat not a ship

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 22 15:25:05 BST 2008

Hugh/
Presumably you are referring to the vessel, with a huge helipad seemingly forr'd of the bridge which is supposed to go to the oilfield in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere and will act as a floating depot/support/research ship of sorts. HMG think that she is a semi static thing and therefore not a ship. To my simple mind she was built in a shipyard,was traditionally launched  has propulsion engines, floats and will power herself to whatever destination her ownners want her to go to. She has a Captain (very young chap) wearing his 4 stripes plus a complement of deck  and engine room officers who are, one assumes, qualified, to the same standards as any other British MN personnel. Cannot see as to how she cannot be anything else but a ship engaged in foreign waters.As to whether she moves about a lot when there is not the question. Do you think they will remove the tax advantages of,say, Weather ships too?
We must be in a more severe financial situation than we think if HMG need to even contemplate taxing these seafares,but then, that is the way of GBrown & co, isn't it.?      Ron T in F