[BITList] Big John and the E.R.

Tom Gardiner tm.gardiner at skymesh.net.au
Tue Oct 21 00:19:36 BST 2008

Colin t , wrote
> john beech - was he a big hulking gorilla type of guy, huge head and neck, dark hair? from somewhere on or near clydeside?
>
> do you recall said person?

Sure do Colin , sailed with big John on Purnea and Dwarka .
Where did you come across him ?
Wonder where he is today . ?
John joined B I after a spell with Fleet Air Arm .
He had lots of tales about carriers and planes .

Below is a tale about big John on Dwarka.
The incident concerning a certain CEO occurred after attending the
committee assessing a breakdown on one of the C's .

First a recap of events .

The incident happened between Karachi and Bombay . . Apparently the lub
alarm kept sounding so the second shut the cock , isolating the alarm .
With a pump failure , several bottom ends were damaged and the ship
anchored .
The 2nd mate took a reading and found the position different to the
first record .
Someone sent an SOS or whatever and the C was surrounded by 4 or 5
"sharks" hopeful of a salvage tow .
In fact it had not dragged the anchor .
Dwarka was told , by Bombay , to tow the C .
Eh !! how ?

Next morning another C arrived and with good seamanship , motored slowly
past , sent over a line, moved ahead and anchored . Sent over heavier
lines and started the tow .
Back in Bombay the towing C asked for a respite as the crew had been on
double watches .
No ,said Bombay, you are way behind schedule , Sail .

OK back to big John and the CEO .

Dear Chief , in his frequent boozy condition , had stated to the
investigating committee ,
that shutting the cock would not affect the alarm sounding when oil
pressure dropped .
Other members of the committee had given him a hard time

So CEO came back to the ship , just as we were sailing , to prove his point
Beautiful crisp white shirt and shorts , wispy balding hair .
Went straight to the fuel pumps . Not a word to anyone.

I was on the controls , a brand new 5th straight off a P & O Strath on
the log book .
Big John Beech , 3rd EO , a Glasgow Scot at the fuel pumps , ready to
prime .
First ring and a blast of air .
Second ring dead slow ahead , still running on air .
CEO pushed John out of the way .
"Excuse me Sir " . A boozy , slurred , " Wait a minute , Third ."
Stop.. Next ring Dead slow ahead .
"Excuse me Sir" " Wait Third " and fiddled with the lub oil cock .
The engine is running on air
Next ring slow ahead, still running on air
"Excuse me Sir " " Wait Third"
"F*** you Sir " John open the bleeds one after the other
The engine fired

A mist of diesel hovered around the pumps
Revealing CEO with a multi spotted shirt and shorts
Face dripping and hair flat to his head .
In a small boy voice , he said " What did you do that for Third ?

The brand new panch, standing ,frozen ,trying to make sense about what
he witnessed .
I was bent over the controls laughing
and handed the Chief a lump of clean cotton waste as he passed .

Thats all for now ,

Tom.