[BITList] Surfacing memories

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 20 08:51:17 BST 2008

Monday morning,

Tom,

I woke with a start at 8.00am - more often than not it's some god forsaken time like 4.33. or 5-something and I go right back to sleep again - some noisy car starters around here.  Monday is bin morning in our area, so I got up at once, and the blue and brown recycling bins (general and garden) are out in time for once.

Diaries and memories ..... apart from the (loose leaf) diary I burned - referred to in an earlier e-mail - I only ever lost/mislaid one. This is/was (I still hope to find it some day) a small book, full of odd jottings and no actual diary entries as far as I recall. What it did have was the name of a young lady I'd had one date with in London (BI). We wrote a couple of letters then silence from both parties from the day we sailed. My interest is not at all romantic, it's just that I am irritated at being unable to recall her name, and it's there in that small diary.  A few years ago I found it among my late brother's papers, having long forgotten it ever existed.  Iain stayed with us for a while and left his things behind when he moved - he was a bit of a magpie, and he'd acquired the diary at some earlier point and used the blank pages in it for phone numbers, etc.  Years before that he'd acquired my new Phillips shaver.  The name was in the diary it, but I'm damned if I can remember it.  Nor, if I be honest, can I recall her.

We've run out of milk, must rush.