[BITList] Surfacing memories

Tom Gardiner tm.gardiner at skymesh.net.au
Mon Oct 20 05:31:33 BST 2008

Salaams all .

Never kept a daily , weekly diary but during my B I days , had a small
blue diary where I recorded each and every port where we berthed or
anchored                Kept it for years until it was lost .

Remembering  ( far away places with strange sounding names ) reminded me
of my first trip with Durenda ,
I recall Assab and Djibouti .
Anyone else been there ?

Fred 's posts bring memories about times on our place  in Canada.
The district was called Island Brook which may tell what kind of place
it was .

First chimney fire was with a free standing fireplace . Threw wet sacks
to stifle the source and ran upstairs to see the flue glowing . Checked
the flue was not in contact with the ceiling hole and the wall was not
in danger .

The wood cook stove in the kitchen behaved itself . Mainly because we
limited the pine and stuck with hardwood .
Cook stove in the kitchen was ideal for slow cooking , kept the room
comfortable and dried the over boots and coats .
Kitchen contained a 4ft x 8ft table top , an upright piano , woodstove
Electric cooker  worktops and sink .
And we could still have room to dance around .

We removed the huge cast iron range , complete with mirrors and replace
it with a smaller one .
Once we advertised for a stove we were offered several , we accepted and
had a display in the yard .
We sold them all .

Fire wood we obtained by searching for the pulpwood stacks on the roadside .
Took what we wanted and stacked them in our yard . Never had a cutter
come and check , all accepted our size count and we accepted their
evaluation .

TTFN

Tom in Gympie