[BITList] pepys

realm33 at msn.com realm33 at msn.com
Fri Oct 17 15:02:33 BST 2008

hugh

I note from your recent email that you are a fellow diarist and have kept a full page diary since 1986. I've been doing the same since 1985 using a 6" x 8" full page diary and so can give a fairly detailed description of my daily activites, etc. for the past 23 years 10 months and 16 days.

Such a 6 x 8 daily page diary is hard to come by here,there are plenty of page per day appointment books but they are not suitable. Presently I get a nice leather bound one from aspinalls in london every year.

in the 1980's american express produced a really nice leather bound 4.25" x 7.5" page per day diary, it slipped into a leather outer cover which was lockable. the idea was to change the diary every year and slip it into the old lockable cover. round about this time I was transferred to hamburg and couldn't get this diary, however it was made in germany in bielefeld by e gundlach k g. we contacted them and they confirmed they did make the diary and they would sell them to me - how many hundred did I need?

Remember those pocket diaries collins of london and glasgow produced years ago - w s smith sold them? (did letts make them also?) little diaries for the boy scout, the train spotter, the civil engineer, the golfer, the needleworker, the yachtsman, the butterfly collector? all full of information vital to the user of the diary. from the age of 13 I used to get a different one every year. I still have my 1965 motorists diary and my 1971 colour photography diary. are they still made? are they still in w.s.smith?

maybe they have updated them now - the apple ipod diary, the space walkers diary, the flat world diary, the ebayers diary, the amatuer bomb makers diary, the pc geeks diary, the 200 mph motorists diary, the porn video makers diary, the acrylic painters diary, the computer hackers diary..................

sic transit gloria mundi

rgds

colin t