[BITList] Google Earth Image

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 13 19:13:12 BST 2008

Colin,

The attached should show exactly where I'm at. My version of Google Earth says it doesn't do coordinates, but I see them along the bottom of the jpeg.  We are on the hills about 450 feet above the river.  The lower town is on a narrow shelf not much above high tide, barely 1/4 to 1/2 a mile wide, so the towns (ie, inc Greenock) are long stretched out.  It was only in the late 1940s that any building took place up the hill.  When I was a boy we could travel east or west only.  North was wet, the river, and south was very steep, the moors.  All but one of our journeys are still constrained.  It's west to Gourock and either a ferry across to Dunoon (or Hunter's Quay), or south to Ayrshire.  Or east to Paisley or Glasgow then south to Ayrshire, or across the Erskine Bridge and north.  The odd man out is, we can go the scenic route via Kilmacolm and Lochwinnoch to Ayrshire, via B roads.

When comparing prices we should also say how many hours one works to pay for them.  However  ... 2 litres of milk is £1.30 to £1.40 - bread varies enormously due to the vast range available, this afternoon I bought a small basic loaf for toasting and it cost £0.80, a decent loaf in Marks & Spencer would be twice that - a pack of 9 rolls of toilet tissue (good quality) was £2.00.  Wines depend on who's selling them - wines run from £2 odd to whatever you want to pay - the average shop will have a range up to, say, £20.