[BITList] BP Monstrosities

Robbo macrob37 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 6 11:48:14 BST 2008

Hugh

BP out here was renowned for really strange road vehicles, like twin steer,
single drive, spread bogie with a steerable back wheels. If I can find a
photo of one I'll post it

Those tankers would lose traction entering or leaving service stations as
the drive axle would be off the ground as you crossed the gutter, so they
whacked a ruddy great

porta power in the cabin and a pair of rams on the drive to push the axle
down to get traction. Trouble was it took some time to pump the rams down
and the traffic just had to wait while a red faced driver tried to make
himself invisible.

The same people who designed the road vehicles had a hand in designing there
service stations and made a mock up of the site and then manoeuvred their

Little model tanker in to said site and if the model went in OK the 45 foot
23 wheel full size tanker had to fit as well. It wasn't necessary to ask a
driver.

Your Jim seems a wee bit like a mate of mine who seemed to be able to con me
into the positions where a sane person would not go, like sitting on the
bonnet

of the car holding a can of petrol with hose to carby when the fuel pump
packed up so we could get home. After about 4 miles it was all right as I
was frozen in position

so couldn't fall off.

Off to bydies now,

Robbo

Ps Colin isn't Albert Ross (ex BI) up the hill a bit from  New Orleans?