[BITList] Situations Vacant

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 30 02:43:33 GMT 2008

Well, you could point out to the Marine Board that the original crew didn't
have any certificates, so why bother now. In the early days at Barry Beach
the Marine Board didn't worry about certificates, deck or engine, or
pilotage exemptions. We has an AB, Scots of course, ex QM from Port Line who
took on the job as Chief Engineer, and a damned good engineer he was too.
Tidewater in those days was under American control and they didn't give a
toss about certificates either.

Reminds me of "Captain" Randall who built the first paddle steamer on the
River Murray. No shipbuilding experience, no maritime experience. They
cobbled together the ship including a boiler that when tested they hid
behind trees and watched it expand and deflate expand and deflate. With true
ingenuity they wrapped the boiler in chains and it operated for years on the
river with the occasional sweating up of the chains. Now beat that Hugh.

Dave