[BITList] Situations Vacant

Bill and Diana billanddiana at bigpond.com
Sat Nov 29 23:45:49 GMT 2008

Hi Hugh,

The term 'Engine Driver' is used on State Certificates, such as issued
by the Marine Board of Victoria.

<quote>
This certificate entitles the holder to Act as Chief Engineer in a
Commercial vessel:
Of propulsion power less than 250 kW operating in designated Australian
Coastal and Middle Waters laterally along the coast and within a limit
of 600 nautical miles to seaward.
<end quote>

The problem for the operators of this vessel is the fact that no steam
ships have been built, or training courses held, for decades.  The area
where the paddle steamer is to operate is a long way from the nearest
big city - (Melbourne, about 400 klms) and marine engineers with steam
qualifications don't exactly queue up in numbers looking for work or
fall out of the trees.

Had it been me building this boat, I would have been tempted to fit a
nice little quiet Yanmar diesel in a sound proof compartment doing all
the real work.  The steam aficionados would have to be satisfied with
the occasional waft of steam from the coffee percolator or a 'Toot toot'
from an imitation ships whistle.  But then, I am just a practical type
of bloke.

Salaams

HUGH wrote:
> I note they are looking for "a marine engine driver Grade 2 with steam
> certificate."  That's a somewhat obscure and faintly patronising
> qualification, so maybe that's why they're having trouble getting candidates
> for the post.  Regardless of that, it's heartening to know that experience
> is deemed necessary - all too often nowadays it's only necessary to fancy a
> go at something.  Indeed, it wobbles between requiring too much and too
> little.
<snip>