[BITList] The top ten most irritating phrases

Derek Hargreaves derek at hargreaves40.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 10:28:09 GMT 2008

There are two particular facets of speech which raise my blood pressure.

The first needs quite a bit of practice and is achieved by  eliminating the
letter 't' whenever possible - for instance 'isn't it?' becomes 'inny?'. I
heard Ed Balls, the Education Minister, manage this quite easily the other
day!

The next also requires some skill to achieve and is best illustrated by a
young Scots Weather person on BBC tv who must hold the record for spoken
'words per minute'. I know that, after four score years plus, the audio
circuits into my brain are not what they used to be and, frankly, I just
switch off, literally, when she appears. Conversely, we have a mature West
Indian woman called Eno on our regional programme, complete with Caribbean
twang. She is a delight to listen to and I can take in every syllable even
if she offers me rain, overcast, wind and no improvement until Easter!

Regards            Derek H

Message -----