[BITList] The Wiltshire Man's Motto

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:33:12 GMT 2008

A few more,

Piple zay as how they gied th' neam o' moonrakers
to us Wiltshire vauk bekase a passel o' stupid bodies one
night tried to rake the shadow o' th' moon out o' th'
bruk, and tuk't vor a thin cheese. But that's th' wrong
ind o' th' stwory. The chaps az was doin' o' this was
smugglers, and they was a vishin' up some kegs oj
sperrits, and only purtended to rake out a cheese ! Zo
the exciseman az axed 'em the question had his grin at
'em ; but they had a good laugh at he when 'em got
whoame the stuff.

Owld Molly Sannell axed Molly Dafter to gie her a
drap o' barm one day. " I ha'n't a got nam !" says
she ; " bezides, I do want un mezelf' to bake wi'."

Measter Groddin used to zay as how childeru costed a
sight o' money to breng um up, and 'twas all very well
whilst um was leetle, and zucked th' mother, but when
um began to zuck the vather, 'twas nation akkerd.

Measter Cuss and his zun Etherd went to Lonnun a
lectio time zence, and when um got to their journey's
ind, Measter Cuss missed a girt passel a carr'd wi' un
to th' cwoach. " Lard, vather !" zays Etherd, " I zeed
un drap out at Yize!" (Devizes.)

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.