[BITList] The Wiltshire Man's Motto

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:13:54 GMT 2008

G'day folks,

I have been lucky to resurrect one of the hard drives that I lost a
few months ago. Going through it tonight, I found this one.

It's time that it was printed again. Its best if you read it aloud.

The Wiltshire Man's Motto

When Joe Day done his 'prenticeship his gaffer said to he:
"I got a good o'd motto, Joe, I'm gwain to gi'e to thee;
An' doänt vorget it all thy life, 'twill help thee on, my man,
When ever thee bist on a job as maäkes 'ee scratch thy ginger nob,

'If a Wil'shire chap caint do it, who can?' "

Joe got on tarblish well wi' all his mates and gaffer too,
A poun' a week he got to start wi'. 'Tweren't a lot, snaw you.
Then, when he'd bin ther' 'bout dree year, his boss said, "Joe, my man,
I've took another village farge, ca'st manage it?" Zays Joe, "By Jarge!

If a Wil'shire man caint do it, who can?"

His gaffer zays, "Thee'st better tell thy pretty wench tonight
To zettle on a weddin' day then thic job's thine all right.
Bein' a cottage at the farge I wants a married man.
Thee't maäke her happy, that I know!" "Thank 'ee kindly, boss!" zays
Joe.

"If a Wil'shire chap caint do it , who can?"

Zo, Joe got spliced an' took thic job, he kept it thirty year.
Then Joe's boss died, left he the farge an' stock. That maäkes it clear
If you ood get on well in life vust be a Wil'shire man,
Then, in what's called the daily grind, keep theäs here motto well in
mind:

"If a Wil'shire chap caint do it, who can?"

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.