[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] Digest Number 3784

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Sun Dec 21 09:24:51 GMT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

From: john robertson <jcrobertson1 at charter.net>
Date: 21 December 2008 01:37:36 GMT
To: No Reply <notify-dg-BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Cc: BIship at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BIship] Digest Number 3784

Bill:
Your mention of an encounter with the USMC guys in Malta and their
mention of US submarines having opposed piston diesel propullsion
engines brings back some memories of those disasters waiting to
happen.  I am a certified technician trained by Fairbanks-Morse in
Beloit, Wisconsin where those engines were built.  Unlike the
Doxfords, they have a top and a bottom set of crankshafts coupled to
each other by a drive shaft and gears. The piston diameters are about
one third the size of Doxford pistons and are swines to remove when
you have to change out piston rings.  Most of the nucleear plants have
them as stand-by generators,  They are probably the most neglected
emergency units that I have ever seen.  This is probably due to the
fact that most nuclear plants hired sailors from the Nuke Navy who
couldn't tell you anything about the diesel engines that they had on
their "boats". The oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico have dozens of those
engines and Fairbanks-Morse has emergency technicians on hand for
troubleshooting and repair.  Give me a Doxford any day of the week.

Best Wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year.

John R. (USA and Dalry)