[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] Re Socotra

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Sat Dec 13 20:15:13 GMT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dudley Horscroft" <transitconsult at ozemail.com.au>
Date: 13 December 2008 12:53:59 GMT
To: <BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BIship] Re Socotra

Yes, "Socotra" was a P & O job, similar to the twin screw wartime Cs,
but the Doxfords were bigger than ours, if my memories of the
earlier discussion is anything to go by.  I sailed on her twice when
she was under the BI flag, Sept 61, Victoria Docks to
Middlesbrough (Uncle Ernie, Master), and Feb-April 62, Victoria Docks
to Mombasa (Eddie Joss, Master).  The first time we had just
taken her over - the story was that she had been backed onto a reef in
the Port Sudan area, and one of the props had been bent.  As
a result, after the local workshops or somewhere had straightened it
out a bit, one engine had to run about 6 rpm faster than the
other for her to steer a reasonable straight course.  Quite odd to
hear the puss of air from the scavenge pumps getting out of phase
then catching up.  P&O couldn't be bothered so they gave her to us to
run properly.  Also I gathered that the entire exhaust system
was near clogged, and she would belch great amounts of soot on
occasions, especially when starting.  By the second time I was on
her, she had been docked and the props fixed properly, the exhaust
cleaned, most of the water tubing around the engine renewed
(can't remember which, ask the engineers - but I think it was the
cooling system) and she was back in good condition.

The only ship I sailed on where the two red lights and the two black
balls were permanently bent on to be hoisted at a moments
notice, and where, when the engine stopped, and I phoned down, the
Master would say, "OK, just let me know if she starts again." or
words to that effect roll over and go back to sleep.

I believe that when we had got her fixed up properly, P&O wanted her
back, but that may have been hearsay.

Regards

Dudley Horscroft
> From: Cattiolo at aol.com <Cattiolo at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [BIship] Re: Keeping the flag flying!
> To: BIship at yahoogroups.com
> Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 6:28 PM
>
> Geoff,
>
> <snip>>
> As an aside, wasn't the Socotra a one time P&O vessel?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional