[BITList] Why do they do it?

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 10:21:06 GMT 2008

Salaams,
????????????? a friend of ours in my local village drops round every week for a natter and before he leaves he gives me a magazine called 'The Week' which up and till the last one I have thoroughly enjoyed, in fact its where I get the 'Recent research has shown' articles from that I annoy you with! However the article in the issue to which I paste and copy my letter to its editor drove me to distraction. The article concerned first appeared in the mainstream Daily Telegraph and was then placed in the magazine and told the story of how the idea for the grave of the Unknown Warrior came about, all very exemplary but there is of course the but and what a but it was, besides the very misleading photo it was the assertion that the three remaining bodies (four had in fact been dug up from four different battlefields and a choice was made) had been unceremoniously dumped in a shell hole. I just can't figure out why they write such trash, anyone know the answer? Should I receive a response I'll forward.

Dear Sir,

??????????? re your issue of the up and till now excellent magazine
'The Week', issue 691 dated 15th November 2008. Having read the final
article, page 50/51 titled 'The unknown soldier: how a corpse became
the focus of a nations grief' I will now view your magazine with all
the skepticism it rightly deserves. The first error is leading the
British public to believe that the photo shown portrays the escorted
limber in London with a guard of honour, may I point out that the
soldiers shown are in fact French and are in fact in France prior to
the embarkation of the coffin. The second and most erroneous error in
the article is in fact deliberately left till last and written to
mislead, as in fact is most news read or listened too these days. You
state that the three remaining soldiers bodies were loaded on to the
back of a truck, tipped into a shell hole beside the road to Albert and
promptly forgotten, as you well know this in fact is not the case.
The remaining three unselected soldiers' bodies were reburied in the
military cemetery at St. Pol with full military honours.
What I find difficult to believe is that such a prestigious magazine as
yours should stoop to the level of today's tabloid press.