[BITList] Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 2 10:14:26 GMT 2008

Mike,

All is now clear.  The sonic gents were "on the roof", so the ship was actually a building.  No wonder the pirates found it easily. Land and sea don't mix all that well.  Kvaerner Govan once engaged an electrical firm to do the needful on a newbuilding for the MOD.  What the MOD thought was never made public, but it couldn't have been much, since the firm were there till the contract was finished. The problem, as I saw it, was that neither the firm nor any of the staff had ever been near a ship in anger. Nice chaps, all of them, experienced in electrical design and installation, but they took ages to work out why there were no walls, roofs or floors (at least, no floors above the tanktop) on a ship - and why rules for houses no longer applied.  We had to carry and tutor them.