[BITList] Townsville Floods

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Feb 1 04:31:20 GMT 2019

G'day Folks,

We lost our internet and phones as well on the night before last.

A nice man in Mumbai fixed up the problem [yesterday I think]. All working this morning.

More rain for the next three to four days is predicted and there may be a cyclone forming in the gulf of Carpentaria.

One of our grandsons lives in a possible flooded area, we haven’t heard.  [Just heard from him 10 minutes ago. They’re alright but the houses on the other side of the street, are flooded!]

Reports from our family around town and from the City Council [automatic phone msg to all rate payers]  and others that the Damis now at 140% full so the y are going to open the dam gates to release more water which in turn, will flood more homes in the city.

Marijke has has just called they have just visited Taplins’ Weir which is very close to their home and the water is rising and will soon be over the walk bridge.

The dam 30 minutes ago. I saw it two weeks ago and before the rains started and it was well down.

Bowen Road bridge with the chimney from the old Meat Works. The water is nearly up to the bridge level.

I started writing this before lunch. It is now 2.15 pm and I have just heard that they have opened the flood gates to max on Ross River Dam.

This is the place where the Ross River Dam sluice gates are located.

It is these gates that are now fully open.

All the photos are from our daughter Marijke. Some are obviously stills from videos.

Schools and businesses are all closed and roads are cut North and South of the city.

Meanwhile, large bush fires rage in Tasmania and our National Government, doesn’t believe in Climate warming!

A quick note from Marijke.

"I’m sitting in my air conditioned room at home and I can hear the roar of the water going over Aplins Weir."

And, it doesn’t take them long eh?

Keep smiling….