[BITList] A comparison of two men !

michael J Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Wed May 16 07:25:31 BST 2018

Special counsel Robert Mueller, who is currently leading the investigation into possible Russian meddling during the 2016 presidential campaign <http://links.newsletters.wired.com/ctt?kn=1&ms=MTM1MTY3MzgS1&r=MjM5NjgxNzQyNjI3S0&b=3&j=MTQwMTM4NTA4OAS2&mt=1&rt=0>, grew up in circumstances that, in some ways, mirrored Donald Trump’s. The two men were born two years apart in Northeastern cities, to wealthy families that encouraged athletics. They both graduated from Ivy League schools, and they both were heavily influenced by their fathers. But their reactions to the Vietnam War are characteristic of the men we know today: After graduating from Princeton in 1966, Mueller volunteered to join the Marines. He was shot in combat and had a reputation for unwavering devotion to his men <http://links.newsletters.wired.com/ctt?kn=14&ms=MTM1MTY3MzgS1&r=MjM5NjgxNzQyNjI3S0&b=3&j=MTQwMTM4NTA4OAS2&mt=1&rt=0>, a fact that was cited when he was awarded the Bronze Star. Trump drew five draft deferments and has boasted that his “personal Vietnam” involved dodging sexually transmitted diseases. “The two men have lived their lives in pursuit of almost diametrically opposed goals,” notes writer Garrett Graff <http://links.newsletters.wired.com/ctt?kn=29&ms=MTM1MTY3MzgS1&r=MjM5NjgxNzQyNjI3S0&b=3&j=MTQwMTM4NTA4OAS2&mt=1&rt=0>. “Mueller a life of patrician public service, Trump a life of private profit.”
Mueller’s time in the Marines is not a well known part of his life, but he frequently makes reference to it as being a crucial component of who he is today. He makes his bed every day, for example—one small indicator, writes Graff of Mueller's follow-through and execution. “Once you think about it—do it," Mueller told Graff. “I’ve always made my bed and I’ve always shaved, even in Vietnam in the jungle. You’ve put money in the bank in terms of discipline.” And this ex-Marine is not messing around with discipline when it comes to the Russia investigation. Reporters inquiring about it are met by Mueller’s tight-lipped, leak-proof spokesperson, Peter Carr: “No comment.” Discipline, order, and relentlessness are the military backbone of Mueller’s current work, and that’s exactly how he likes it.

 <http://links.newsletters.wired.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MTM1MTY3MzgS1&r=MjM5NjgxNzQyNjI3S0&b=3&j=MTQwMTM4NTA4OAS2&mt=1&rt=0>