[BITList] ODNB - Life of the Day

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 27 15:53:23 BST 2018

John,

Given the number of children the pair had, I think it a safe bet that there are some living descendants.

Reading about Burns and Armour reminds me that, on the subject of Scottish marriage, the minister at my nephew's wedding in Newark Castle touched on the subject.  He said his predecessor in the late 1600s/early 1700s would have travelled once a year to whatever form Port Glasgow had at that time.  There, he would have baptised any children whose parents desired such and paid for it. And he would have performed a blessing on any couples who had married each other since his last visit. Indrawn breaths from some of the ladies present.