[BITList] Fwd: Interesting comment?

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Mar 24 12:59:07 GMT 2018

Dear xxx

What follows is some correspondence between myself and a person who follows the dictates of the Liberal & National Parties of Australia.

He sent me the following article from the LNP POV from "The Australian”, an Australian National Newspaper owned by a foreigner.

Australia’s progressive alliance — Labor and the trade unions — keeps getting more radical and making more risky bets that the Australian public will follow it.

ACTU chief Sally McManus issued an extreme and naive agenda for workplace transformation this week. The ACTU activist “change the rules” campaign threatens to miss the mark entirely and overreach in a threat to jobs, investment and growth.

This follows Labor’s imputation credits policy the previous week that creates a large number of losers and many problems arising from intended and unintended consequences.

The prospect that Labor will now pledge to repeal tax cut laws — if the Turnbull government succeeds next week in passing its corporate tax cut initiative — will only accentuate the mounting risks for Labor.

The progressives are provoking their opponents, taunting a political beast they assume is slouching to defeat. They risk igniting a broad alliance of small and large business, investor, retiree and aspiration voters against them. The sheer degree of financial redistribution intensifies the stakes.

The corporate tax cut issue still hangs in the balance. But if the government carries the crossbenchers next week that signals a decisive shift in sentiment against Labor and the unions in favour of the lower tax/investment/ job creation argument put by the Coalition and business. It would put Pauline Hanson squarely onto the government’s court as a player.

The potential is obvious — a more broadbased and energised Coalition alliance. Forget whether Malcolm Turnbull has been inept at maximising the policy differences between Labor and the government. That was yesterday’s debate. As Labor and the unions go radical the job is being done for Turnbull.

Here is my response…

I knew that there was a repost to everything that “The Australian” had to say.

And once again, no attribution is given to your ‘comments’ above. [Mr Google confirmed that it came from The Australian].

I do hope that you read all of my last email. I had written to the ACTU to ask for a copy of Sally MacManus’s address to the National Press Club in Canberra. Her address brought a standing ovation, when she finished. Sally McManus is the President of the "Australian Council of Trade Unions".

In respect to your very first sentence.

Yes, humans get very radical when their very financial security is threatened.

And yes they can get very angry, a normal human behaviour, under the circumstances.

Read this extract from Sally’s speech that answers the first sentence from "The Australian.”

Angry at CEOs whose pay and bonuses soar while families struggle to pay the bills.
Angry at corporations which have no regard for our jobs or our living standards and only care for their short-term bottom line. Corporations will exploit our broken workplace laws because they can.
And the money they make from squeezing workers doesn’t even come back to us.
Profits are for overseas shareholders and sit in off shore bank accounts.
They avoid paying their fair share of tax because they can.
And one thing is for sure. If conditions are allowed to get worse, working people will get angrier.
When Australians have had a chance to get behind workers who were fighting back against multinational greed, they have, in extraordinary numbers – CUB, Streets Ice-cream.
We know big business now has far too much power.

Now go and sit down in a quiet corner and read the full Address and you will see the point of view that I come from. I doubt that you can reconcile yourself with any part of it.

This is what I have learnt since coming to Australia - supposedly the "Land of the Fair Go.”

The problem that this country faces now, is that it is no longer the "Land of the Fair Go.”

And that is a shame that your party has to come to terms with. At the moment they don’t.