[BITList] Fwd: The Great Escape:

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 23 09:08:33 GMT 2018

Mike,

We lived in Odense, Denmark, 1965-67. I worked in the Maskinafdeling (Engine DO), of the Odense Steel Shipyard.  In the office was a wee man whose job I never worked out. He was recommended to me more than once when I sought advice on where to buy this and that. He would cut a narrow strip of paper and write on it "Hilsen fra PP", which in English is "Greetings from PP". He was Poul Petersen. This paper, when offered in a shop, would result in a 10% reduction of the price, no questions asked.  While planning our departure from Denmark, I got 12 tea chests (empty) from a tea merchant with one such, delivered free. Anyway, when just a lad, Poul Petersen was driving a horse-drawn cart along a street.  It was WW2, and Denmark was occupied by Germany.  The cart contained hand grenades. Poul was in the Resistance. On top of the grenades was a layer of eggs. He was stopped by a couple of Germans who demanded to know what was in the cart.  To his horror, Poul found he had replied, "hand grenades". One of the Germans pulled back the corner of the cover and took an egg.  "Danish hand grenade!," he shouted gleefully, and threw it up in the air.  Poul was let off with a warning about silly jokes. His connection with the Resistance and the people in it outlasted the war.