[BITList] Meet Damyanti Gupta

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Jun 12 01:41:45 BST 2018

Meet Damyanti Gupta, The Indian-Origin Techie Who Became The First Degreed Female Engineer at Ford

 The year was 1967, when second-wave feminism was in its ascending phase.

A 25-year-old Damyanti Hingorani approached Motor City, Detroit to seek a job at Ford Motors Company.

The job profile was that of an engineer.

She was rejected the first time, but she tried again. The HR person was confused looking at her resume. He said, "You're applying for an engineering job, but we have no females here." She retorted, "I'm here, and unless you hire me, you'll never have any.”

Thus began the story of Damyanti "Rani" Hingorani who became the first degree, female engineer, to be hired by Ford. For the next 35 years, Damyanti was associated with Ford and her story is nothing short of inspirational. Today, Time Magazine <http://time.com/collection-post/5296993/damyanti-gupta-firsts/> honours her achievements, working as a lone woman in an industry dominated by men.

https://www.latestly.com/world/meet-damyanti-gupta-the-indian-origin-techie-who-became-the-first-degreed-female-engineer-at-ford-206770.html <https://www.latestly.com/world/meet-damyanti-gupta-the-indian-origin-techie-who-became-the-first-degreed-female-engineer-at-ford-206770.html>