[BITList] The Tories’ obscene joke: shred the safety net, then toss people into it | Frances Ryan | Opinion | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 11 15:43:28 GMT 2018

Mike,

Our local paper recently ran a report on a lady who suffers from epilepsy and had to give up a job in consequence. She claimed benefit and was sent to appear before a panel.  The panel rejected her claim. Basically they called her a liar - she didn't look ill enough.  I wrote to the paper, and they printed the letter.  I asked if anyone could tell me what qualifications the panel had for judging the lady's state of health. So far nobody has told me, but I know. They have zero, zilch qualifications.  They are employed by a company who are paid by the local authority to sit in judgement on applicants for benefit. It is presupposed that the percentage of spurious applicants is high enough to justify the expense. I've never had or applied for a benefit in my life - I'm tempted to apply, if only for the pleasure of being able to sit opposite these morons within stiking distance.

Hugh