[BITList] Inside the strictest school in Britain

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Jan 6 13:38:15 GMT 2018

G'day Hugh,

On 6 Jan 2018, at 7:25 pm, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

John,

I was educated, 1938-49, at Chapelton Primary School, Port Glasgow.  We had discipline, and we all faced the teacher, at the front. The wall decorations were (a) the alphabet, and (b) the tables 1-12.  We learned by rote, and we could read, write and count before we were aged 6. That was before the appearance of experts who reckoned such progress in such circumstances is impossible. I loved it.

Hugh,

In one respect you were lucy.

I did most of my schooling in India where - in those days - there were 16 annas to a Rupee. Hence those living in India had to learn their tables right up to 16.

I must admit that when I moved in teaching computer Studies that it bared fruit [bore fruit] because computer coding has a lot to do with the numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256!