[BITList] Technology

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Jan 3 13:56:12 GMT 2018

G’day Frank,

On 3 Jan 2018, at 10:04 pm, FA <franka at iinet.net.au> wrote:
As an Electrical apprentice at HM Dockyard Portsmouth, one's first year consisted of group instruction in fitting under the beady eye of a toolmaker who taught us how to make our own hand tools,and subjected us to a series test jobs which had to be accurate in some cases to 1/10th of a thousands of an inch and repeated until the item met his specifications, among the Items made was a master pendulum clock with electric output to six slave clocks, we had to cut the gears on a lathe after first having to make the indexing plates. One thing is for sure by the end of that year we certainly knew how to use our hand tools, and learnt a lot of patience

One of my grandfathers served his apprenticeship [Seven Years] as a wheelwright & Carpenter.

His first job apart from making the teas sweeping out the workshops and carrying the tradesman's tool box, was to make his own set of tools from the raw iron or steel on site.

I can’t remember the circumstance but I remember some conversation about the use of screwdrivers - they were NEVER to used as chisels!