[BITList] Visiting Pitcairn Island.

michael J Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Mon Feb 12 08:02:01 GMT 2018

While the waves are coming in from the south we had a rolling vessel for day’s now. We had passed the Panama Canal a few days ago and a nice long voyage ahead of us. With Portland Australia as final destination ahead of us. But this was not the talk we had during our watch breaks, nope.Talks were about the Bounty Island Pitcairn, we knew we were passing this island during our Pacific crossing and the idea to pay a visit to this island let many people on board run wild.When our cargo was fixed the internet visits to get more information about the island Pitcairn gave us more insight on this upcoming visit. It would be the first for our company to do so. Pitcairn has a long history as many sailors know, and many of them perhaps had

visit this island in the past already, for all of us it was the first time. Pitcairn became famous for the mutiny on HMAV BOUNTY in 1789. An historic event which let Fletcher Christian to the island of Pitcairn. The tradition to have a stopover while crossing the Pacific is known by many sailors around the world, records of those visits are being kept by the people of Pitcairn. The day has come finally and Pitcairn Island was called by the Captain on VHF and after a moment a nice female voice replied, they were happy to hear when we told them we were planning to stop. Preparations were made from there side and ours. The longboat finally came in sight when we got closer, after unloading their boat from fresh fruits and fish they were all welcomed. Many of them were surprised as they were welcomed by their name, you could see it on their faces and thinking how do they know my name. Thanks internet. After a warm welcome they came on board almost all of us bought souvenirs and had small talks with the locals. Nice memories were created today and for all of us a day to remember. Passports were stamped to have proof of our visit. We understood that we were the first cargo ship in over a year to stop at Pitcairn as many of them do not find the time anymore to follow this old tradition. Since often they sail on a tight schedule to get to the Panama Canal. Hopefully this tradition will be continued in the future and not be forgotten. After a few hours which flew by, we continued our voyage and with all the fruits and fish we received we were grateful for the hospitality of the Pitcairners.

A day to really remember and will be passed on in our history to come.