[BITList] Trad Jazz reccomendations

michael J Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Sun May 28 20:29:08 BST 2017

These Trad Jazz recommendations are from a Band leader who used to be on Merseyside, he now lives in Bordeaux, France

Mike

It’s not all doom,  there are many good young bands here in France/Europe and I’ve put a selection of them below. I’m sure there are many similar young bands in London and the UK but there they seem to exist in a parallel universe and are not featured by many of the longstanding clubs and festivals. At Fest Jazz we go out of our way to pack the programme with them:

The Sweet Peppers https://youtu.be/M8adyFqZDxg <https://youtu.be/M8adyFqZDxg>,  Le Bardi Manchot https://youtu.be/Feg2esJbggM <https://youtu.be/Feg2esJbggM>

Hippocampus Jass Gang https://youtu.be/33tjL6BiyMw <https://youtu.be/33tjL6BiyMw>,  French Rag https://youtu.be/wuzb4lx6IWo <https://youtu.be/wuzb4lx6IWo>
Old Fish Jazz Band https://youtu.be/s89YdXzHsyQ <https://youtu.be/s89YdXzHsyQ>,  Hot Sugar Band https://youtu.be/dcaW-xnCpo0 <https://youtu.be/dcaW-xnCpo0>
Dizzy Birds https://youtu.be/vBsiM8rY_XI <https://youtu.be/vBsiM8rY_XI>, Sant Andreu Jazz Band https://youtu.be/r9AlnatNh4w <https://youtu.be/r9AlnatNh4w>
Mama Shakers https://www.facebook.com/mamashakers/videos/1905731099710620/ <https://www.facebook.com/mamashakers/videos/1905731099710620/>
Another important point is to use young people as part of the organising team of clubs and festivals. Their input and knowhow (especially on the Communications front) makes a huge difference and they bring their friends to the gigs as well. Posters, Flyers, Teasers are modern in style and that too brings young people through the door. Involving young people from the beginning does have a snowball effect…..

Trevor Stent