[BITList] Journey to the extraordinary Coral Sea

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon May 15 07:49:36 BST 2017

Beyond the Great Barrier Reef is the Coral Sea – one of the last wild places on Earth. Healthy coral reefs and an abundance of sharks, rays, turtles, whales, dolphins and big fish like tuna and marlin thrive in this pristine ocean wilderness. See the wonders of the Coral Sea for yourself. <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-a/>
Last year I spent a week filming in this amazing place. The production, by Bluebottle Films, is now out to show the world the value of protecting the Coral Sea and the marine life that call it home.

 <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-f/>
What I saw was incredible. I've dived in many places around the world, but I was astounded at the array of life in the crystal clear waters of the Coral Sea.

It took twelve hours to reach the Coral Sea on our boat, the fabulous Spoil Sport by Mike Ball Dive. Our first stop was Holmes Reef, around 240km offshore. Holmes Reef was damaged by coral bleaching in 2002. I was thrilled and very relieved to see the corals and marine life had started to bounce back. It was teeming with vibrant fish, big and small.
Sadly, Holmes Reef was hit hard by coral bleaching again in 2016 and over 20% of the coral has since died.

Bougainville Reef is where I truly fell in love with the Coral Sea. It's an underwater paradise. I was lucky enough to see the big fish, healthy populations of sharks, huge gorgonians and stunning soft corals the Coral Sea is famous for. I swam through schools of barracuda and said hello to the humphead Maori wrasse hanging out by the reef. We met one of the resident potato cods, undisturbed by divers who travel the world to see him. I saw incredible underwater labyrinths with caves and tunnels, spectacular overhangs and drop offs, and a submerged wreck teeming with life. It was heartbreaking to realise the protection Bougainville Reef needs could be wound back.

Osprey Reef was our final stop. It was accurately described by Sir David Attenborough as ‘the perfect reef’. The visibility was more than 50 metres and it was teeming with sharks and big fish. Grey reef sharks, black tips, white tips - too many to count! Even the odd larger oceanic silver tip cruised past.

The Coral Sea surpassed its reputation as an underwater paradise. I’d seen the pictures, read the science and heard the stories - I knew it was one of the world’s most incredible places and worthy of protection. But I came home seeing it through different eyes and determined to do everything I can to protect it.
You can help
AMCS is driving the campaign to protect the Coral Sea.
In 2012, just over half of the Coral Sea Marine Reserve was protected in a large sanctuary, providing a safe haven for ocean giants like sharks, tuna and sailfish, which are in dramatic decline globally.
That protection was put on hold with the Abbott Government's review of our national network of sanctuaries, leaving all of the Coral Sea at risk. The review has delayed protection of the Coral Sea by a further four years - on top of the decade it took to develop the new marine park. The review has cost more than $3 million of taxpayer money which could have been spent implementing this much needed protection.
The review ignored the strong science and community support for increased marine protection, and the government is considering recommendations to wind back vital sanctuary areas. But the fight's not over yet. You can help by emailing your MP now and asking them to stand up for the Coral Sea. <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-z/>
Email your MP <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-v/>
Thank you for all you do.

Fiona Maxwell
Coral Sea Campaigner

P.S  The Coral Sea is also an important source of life for the Great Barrier Reef. It's the cradle to the Reef, serving as a series of stepping stones for the dispersal of species from the western Pacific. And like many of us after visiting the Great Barrier Reef, once you've experienced the Coral Sea, you find it hard to stop talking about how amazing it is - and you can never stop fighting to protect it. You can help protect the Coral Sea by emailing your MP now. <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-e/>

 <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-s/>	 <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-l-ctjjdi-scldjidt-g/>
Images:

Feather star by Steve Parish (supplied prior to trip)
Jellyfish by Lucy Trippett (supplied prior to trip)
Reef scene by Lucy Trippett (supplied prior to trip)
Barracuda by Jurgen Freund (supplied prior to trip)
Grey reef shark by Lucy Trippett (supplied prior to trip)
All other images taken on the trip by Bluebottle Films
The Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS) is the voice for Australia's ocean wildlife. We are an independent charity, staffed by a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for 50 years.

Like <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-fb-ctjjdi-scldjidt-w/>
Tweet <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.cmail20.com/t/j-tw-ctjjdi-scldjidt-yd/>
Forward <http://australianmarineconservationsociety.forwardtomyfriend.com/j-scldjidt-252FAD8E-ctjjdi-l-yh>