[BITList] Makaibari [Kurseong] bags best ever price for first flush tea at Rs 19, 363 a kg

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon May 1 03:22:54 BST 2017

G'day Folks,

One of my correspondents asked me some questions.

I thought that you might be interested in how your 'cuppa' is made grown and made.

> What is so special about this tea and what does "first flush" mean ?

Tea connoisseurs of “Darjeeling” tea accept that this is one of the best tasting tea in the world. Further it is organically grown.

Prince Charles gets his tea from Makaibari. The tea garden is located within the political “District” of Darjeeling but the town it is located in is Kurseong, where I went to school.

‘First flush’ - when most plants regenerate growth the growth occurs on the extremities of the twigs that are in turn at the end of the branches. What grows are two leaves with a bud in-between the two leaves. Hence the expression ‘two leaves and a bud’ when referring to the tea industry.

Pop this into Google.

two leaves and bud

The girls/women who pick the tea, pick only the two leaves and bud of the “new growth” - the new growth being the “first flush".

Typically, these are the best leaves to use for the best tea to drink.

Then later, comes the second flush. This is not a good as the first flush.

Watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_processing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_processing>

And…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJFaYKEDle4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJFaYKEDle4>