[BITList] A Personal Rejoinder to British Raj-Haters Masquerading as Historians

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Mar 31 07:17:55 BST 2017

A Personal Rejoinder to British Raj-Haters Masquerading as Historians  By Zareer Masani on 23/03/2017.

From liberal laws to educational institutions to infrastructure, the British Raj contributed a lot to India.

https://thewire.in/118218/personal-rejoinder-british-raj-haters-masquerading-historians/  <https://thewire.in/118218/personal-rejoinder-british-raj-haters-masquerading-historians/>

And…..

I forgot to mention the painting.

Whats all this about the Brits?

What about the French?

There on the right hand side of Zoffany’s painting - in the red uniform, leaning forwards.

How many of you would recognise the Founder of the two schools [four if one can counts the girls schools too] that are amongst the best in India?

The schools are in Lucknow and Kolkata.

Having just refreshed my memory courtesy of Mr Google, I have to apologise. There are a total of 7 schools.

I refer to Claude Martin. A Frenchman born in Lyon in France, where he left money for founding another of his schools!

La Martiniére Colleges.

Oh alright then…. He was a Maj.Gen. In the Brits Army!

You can read a lot about this man he did a lot in his lifetime.

See…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Martin <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Martin>

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_will_of_Claude_Martin <https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_will_of_Claude_Martin>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Purwa <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Purwa>

I might add that I was a student at LMC from September 1947 to the end of 1949. I was a boarder.