[BITList] More on Another nasty accident !

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Jun 15 08:02:18 BST 2017

From a correspondent…

We had a Wave Compensator control on our Monk crane for our North Sea disaster ships’  10 mtr F.R.C.s in the late ‘70s+

Designed only for recovery, when the boat’s lifting bridle would be attached to the recovery hook and the crane would then automatically compensated for the wave movement of the boat (kinda necessary in the rough North Sea conditions we operated those boats in),   maintaining tension on the bridle without lifting while crew sorted themselves out ready for the 30 foot hoist to main deck stowage.  When ready, the compensator would be over-ridden on pressing the lift control.

Under no circumstances was the Wave Compensator designed for the launch operation, and if I remember correctly, could not be engaged during lowering.

In fact, we had two hooks - a substantial quick-release hook used for launching, and this would be changed while the boats were away to a much simpler, plain hook for recovery, which saved crushing of fingers etc..
But then, we were a British flag ship, owned by B.P. Exploration and operated by B.P. Shipping, with a wholly British (B.P.S.) crew - well trained, and enthusiastic (much more interesting work than their tankers),  all fully trained in all aspects of the operations of these remarkable (and fun) heavy, fast craft:

Photo is of was our No. 1 ‘Pacific 30’ -  she was a prototype, designed and built on the Isle of Wight with financial support from B.P. Expo.
She was wooden (!), with a 6-ltr marinised turbo-charged lorry engine.
Self righting, 3 methods of starting (after inverting),  capable of 26 knots, and incredibly good sea boats although they do wallow when not motoring.
We bought 4:   2 for the ‘Forties Kiwi’  and 2 for her eventual replacement - the ‘Iolair’ which took over at Forties when we moved up to the northern Magnus field.

After this prototype, the next 3 hulls were fibreglass and the stand-up control position was done away with and like all modern F.R.C.s, the helmsmen sat at the controls in the other 3 boats which saved their knees, but we did find that roll-bar very handy for holding on to when standing up, searching for bodies in the water
We all really enjoyed those boats (apart from the engineers who didn’t like their engines raced) - they could handle literally any weather and were, well, just plain Fun!

and they saved lives:
8 minutes was the longest we ever took from alarm going off to recovery of body into our hospital - our deck crews were never standing by the boats, but just working/living as normal on board.  When the klaxon went, all crews not on the bridge ran to the boats, first three donning gear #   with the next 3 to arrive manning the crane etc.
Next three to arrive dressed in those dry suits for the 2nd boat launch.

Rank was immaterial as we were all trained to the same degree including all trained as coxswain for these peculiar craft - they do handle very differently in rough weather to any other small craft I have experienced.
Rehearsed/launched every day except in severe weather when we only launched for a real emergency -
all worked like a fine tuned engine.

#  for speed, the 1st boat would be launched with crew in survival suits (quick to put on), while the crew for the 2nd. boat dressed in dry suits which took longer to get into, but allowed them to stay operating in the cold environment much longer than those in the survival suits.
We always launched both boats for a rescue.