[BITList] The Great Aussie....... aint it the truth

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 14 11:37:23 BST 2017

*Subject: FW: The Great Aussie....... aint it the truth*

    /This is a comment written by a John on the Daily Telegraph page who
    has an*_Aboriginal ancestor._*/

    /On 26 January 1788 when the First Fleet ships unloaded their
    c12...00 convicts, Royal Marine guards and officials not a shot was
    fired./

    /As they looked around what's now Circular Quay they saw nothing
    other than bush./

    /Not a single building, planted field, domesticated plant or animal
    - nothing at all. It was the same across the continent./

    /It was "terra nullius" -////_a vacant land._/

    /There was no Aboriginal Army to defeat in battle. There was nothing
    to claim as the spoils of victory./

    /There was just wild bush. The few Aborigines who came out to have a
    look at these strange people were completely illiterate and innumerate/

    /and those on the south side of the harbour spoke a language
    completely unintelligible to those on the north side of the harbour
    and they'd been constantly at war/

    /with each other for as long as anyone can remember./

    /There was no "invasion"./

    /Captain Phillip was instructed by the government inLondonto treat
    the natives "with amity and kindness" and he did./

    /No Aborigines were shot; no platoon of Marines fixed their bayonets
    or loaded their muskets or took a shot at anyone who emerged from
    the bush/

    /to see what was going on. Instead they offered them gifts and
    friendship./

    /Most people now "identified" as "indigenous" - like myself and my
    children and grandchildren have European - mostly British - ancestry
    to a greater or lesser extent./

    /I recently had a DNA test done that shows I'm 48% Irish, 20%
    English, 30% Scandinavian, 1% Spanish and 1% Aboriginal./

    /The absurdity is that, in this time of identity politics, I am an
    "Aborigine" by virtue of the fact that one of my Irish ancestors
    married an Aboriginal woman*6 generations ago*./

    /There is no reason to changeAustraliaDay. It was the day
    "Australia" came into being and had it not been for those British
    coming ashore on 26 January 1788/

    /I wouldn't exist and neither would Mr Mundine./

    /The name "Mundine" is as English as a cold pork pie or fish-n-chips
    wrapped in newspaper./

    /It's time for all indigenous people to get over what happened 229
    years ago and stop playing the victim./