[BITList] Fwd: The fifties

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Feb 24 11:20:35 GMT 2017

G'day Hugh,

> We had "pasta" - well, macaroni, eaten with milk.

Macaroni - yuk!

> Bananas and oranges were fairly common mid/late 50's. My great aunt had a fruit shop.

I was 9 years old before I saw a banana.

> Seaweed was eaten in the 50's. Seaside stalls sold it (dulse).  I didn't like it.

Never eaten it. They do put it into make ice-cream.

See… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp>

> In our house, 40's/50's, we got prunes as a sweet, eat it or wear it. Mum didn't negotiate.

Loved prunes and custard. Yummy.

> I first saw/smelled a curry aboard MV Chakdara 1956, but the dish in various forms was available in cities around the UK long before that.

From my autobiography..

It would have been shortly after Independence Day that my brother and I were taken to 15 Louden Street, Calcutta. The home of La Martiniére College. I reckon that I was put in Year 5. My dormatory was located on the top of the building inside the round tower. the matron there was not very nice to me. She had a son of her own in the same year as me. She did me out of my pocket money once. My brother went up to see her and told her that if she did it again, he would get the police on to her.
I remember the meals there at lunch time. At La Martiniére they had curry for lunch, every day! My brother and I couldn't/wouldn't eat curries. This was noticed by the duty teachers and soon we were being fed eggs for lunch. Boiled eggs, poached eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs......eggs.....eggs. It wasn't long before we started eating curries. I've loved them ever since.

> Brown bread  (I don't recall seeing it) was just that -  Cockney rhyming slang hadn't yet come north. We had plain loaves or pan loaves, unsliced white, unwrapped.

Nothing to say about brown bread. If it was there I would eat it.