[BITList] Learn something new today - INTERESTING!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 10 08:35:40 GMT 2017

Frank,

Most interesting.

I can add something about Yuma, AZ, etc. My copy of ARIZONA 101. An irreverent short course for new arrivals, has a section on Arizona weather.  In that state, any given time is the wettest, driest, coldest or hottest anyone can remember.  One day in 1950 it reached 123F in Yuma. Most residents of Phoenix put up with temperatures below 110F without grumbling. In Phoenix an inch of snow fell in 1933.

On a visit to Tucson, AZ, my wife and my sister were reclining in deck chairs in the sun in my other sister's garden.  Concerned neighbours drew attention to the risk they were running, the temperature having fallen to 80F.  So they diplomatically shivered and went indoors.  On a visit to Biosphere 2 in AZ some years ago we waited for the little shuttle train to take us up the hill to the reception. There were men bare to the waist and men with parkas - I had on a light tee shirt.