[BITList] TONZE

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Sep 17 07:29:12 BST 2016

From a correspondent…

By the way, I'm having difficulty researching a Victorian period gunboat called TONZE, a paddle steamer operating in the Far East, but not R.N.

Originally thought to have been a ferry on the Thames but Greenwich hasn't been able to help.
Several records of her operating around Malacca/Singapore/South China Sea in the Straits Times. Possibly ex-John Co., perhaps based at Calcutta but the Br. library has no record so I guess she must have sailed under a different name.

She is in no M.N. List.

I got the impression she was on loan or had been sold to a local Sultan.

Do you have any thoughts about where else I might look John?

Anyone know anything about this vessel?