[BITList] Tehan Media Release - Saluting the service of our Merchant Mariners

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Sep 3 05:01:30 BST 2016

I find this a tad insulting since the LNP Government in Australia have all but removed, all Australian crews from manning Australian Coastal ships.

View this email in your browser <https://dva-minister.infoservices.com.au/campaign/1970/HoQgRcfChXIURc9N0K0WxzhJivENyqba/campaign_preview>

MEDIA RELEASE
THE HON DAN TEHAN MP
MINISTER FOR VETERANS’ AFFAIRS
MINISTER FOR DEFENCE PERSONNEL
MINISTER ASSISTING THE PRIME MINISTER FOR CYBER SECURITY
MINISTER ASSISTING THE PRIME MINISTER FOR THE CENTENARY OF ANZAC

Release Title
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Dan Tehan said Merchant Navy Day today was an opportunity for the nation to honour the service and sacrifice of our merchant mariners.

Mr Tehan said Australians should remember the vital contributions made by those who served in the Australian and allied Merchant Navies in times of war.

"Merchant ships played a crucial role transporting men to and from warzones and carrying valuable cargo during the First and Second World Wars," Mr Tehan said.

"Some vessels were converted to military hospital ships. The work was highly dangerous as the slow convoys were at constant risk from enemy fire, sea mines and other threats.

"Memorials around Australia record the more than 600 Australian merchant mariners known to have lost their lives in war, however there are likely more unknown because some Australians served in the merchant navies of allied nations.

"The Centenary of Anzac 2014–18 marks not only 100 years since the First World War, but 100 years of bravery and sacrifice by our servicemen and women, including the merchant mariners we honour today."

For more on the Anzac Centenary program, please visit www.anzaccentenary.gov.au <http://www.anzaccentenary.gov.au/>

Media enquiries:
Minister Tehan’s Office: Byron Vale, 0428 262 894
Department of Veterans’ Affairs Media: 02 6289 6203

Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) can be reached 24 hours a day across Australia for crisis support and free and confidential counselling. Phone 1800 011 046 (international: +61 8 8241 45 46). VVCS is a service founded by Vietnam veterans.