[BITList] How York Minster bellringers' sacking blew the lid offbitter dispute | UK news | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 20 14:19:39 BST 2016

Mike,

What a bloody kerfuffle. The various statements by those who carried out the sacking, and those who are hangers on,  tell us nothing, though they are an advance on the ubiquitous "we don't comment on individual cases."  Having tarred that chap with vague innuendo, why don't they have the courage of their second hand opinions and openly accuse him of whatever the hell it is.  Chicken, or what?  Is the Minster a church? What religion do they preach in it?

I am reminded of a case I read of today. A Pakistani PhD student at a Glasgow university had to interrupt his studies to go back to Pakistan on urgent family business, taking with him his wife and infant child - the child was born in Glasgow. He and his wife were able to come back to Glasgow, but the child, about a year old, was barred. Apparently its birth certificate, issued by the Registrar in Glasgow, doesn't prove it was born there. What does it prove then? You are correct, the Home Office don't comment on individual cases. Sack the lot of them. No wonder independence is on the menu.