[BITList] Freak Waves for Henry

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Oct 3 00:29:45 BST 2016

From a correspondent…

One for the meteorologist in the house:

This is a rather simplistic view
https://gcaptain.com/video-lab-simulated-rogue-wave-will-make-palms-sweat/ <https://gcaptain.com/video-lab-simulated-rogue-wave-will-make-palms-sweat/>

We had our back broken in 1984 in the northern North Sea when 2x 100ft waves passed us - but the scientists didn’t believe the proof, then, even though the B.P. platform (Magnus) was built with an airspace of 100 ft between the sea level and the main structure, to allow for the anticipated waves, although at the time they only predicted 1 every 100 years.

And they are frequent off Durban where freak waves are caused by the southern running  Agulhas current encountering northern winds causing very long 'fetch’ between waves, with a great weight of water at the peak, sufficient to break the backs of supertankers.  Even in the 1970s, Durban Marine would issue warnings when they were due so ships could move out of the danger area.

and to think oceanographers still didn’t believe us ;-{)}

They can now create them with models, so now they believe us.  Scientists!

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~feegi/ocean.html <http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~feegi/ocean.html>
https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=agulhas+current+rogue+waves&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7mcOw07vPAhXsJ8AKHTP8D8UQgQMIGjAA <https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=agulhas+current+rogue+waves&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7mcOw07vPAhXsJ8AKHTP8D8UQgQMIGjAA>

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7572878/ <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7572878/>