[BITList] BAE Shouldn’t Get to Build U.K.’s New Frigate, Review Says – gCaptain

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 30 14:35:37 GMT 2016

Mike,

What's it got to do with a Yank?

However ...... Splitting contracts between or among different yards is not the way to build ships.  The main beneficiaries of such a scheme are they who travel between them, never to be found in any one of them, lots of travelling expenses. Lots of confusion.  Lots of room for error. And even less of a good idea with MOD work. The two aircraft carriers were a disorganised, over budget, shambles. Politicians ignorant of even the simplest principles of shipbuilding and marine engineering should keep their mouths shut.

Back in the 70s BP shared an order for three tankers among a couple of yards. Scotts built one of them, to be delivered third.  She was actually the first of the three to be delivered, which didn't stop the gutter press from vilifying Scotts and all who worked there when it dawned on what passed for their minds that Scotts' vessel, though the first done, was a little late according to some calendar they had.  As with the later Iolair, also delivered a bit late, the owners were perfectly happy with the end results.

Sometimes I thank God I'm no longer working in the industry.