[BITList] Wallaby

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Nov 24 23:53:40 GMT 2016

G'day Folks,

This video was taken by the dash camera in our car.

It only lasts 20 seconds.

Helma was driving and we were on cruise control, doing 114 kph or 71 mph.

Stopping the video as soon as we can see the dead roo [or wallaby?], noting the time and then stopping the video again when you see the front of the vehicle get slightly lifted by going over the roo, takes only 3 seconds.

Not long to make up your mind to swerve or go over it.

Doing what I would do and knowing that that would be the advice that I give anyone else, Helma chose to straddle the roo with the car wheels and not swerve at all.

Helma made a good job out of a bad situation.

We didn’t stop either - there were no indications that there was anything wrong with the vehicle.

Notice also that it is on a bend to the right with a double white line. Who knows if a large truck and trailer is just around the bend, coming towards us?

Swerving at that speed is an unsafe move to make. Vehicles are unstable at that speed unless in a straight line.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12851525/EVT_2016_11_17_13_33_09_F - Dead Roo.MP4 <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12851525/EVT_2016_11_17_13_33_09_F%20-%20Dead%20Roo.MP4>

We were coming home from NSW and about 250 Km south of Charters Towers.

In case you’re wondering - the stench is unbearable. One week after the event it is still there! But not as bad as it was! :-)