[BITList] Last Doxford Engine

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Tue May 31 07:46:03 BST 2016

Last Doxford Engine

I’ve just read your latest newsletter, no 150, and looking at the article titled “Boulder Departed With Laker Navi From Montreal”, I am 99% sure that the “NAVI” is the former ALGOMA NAVIGATOR which originally started life as the DEMERTERTON built in 1967 by Readheads, South Shields, England. (my home town)

However the main point of interest is that the ALGOMA NAVIGATOR is, or rather was, I understand, the last ship actually sailing and trading with a Doxford engine, there is one other Doxford on a drill ship called ABAN ICE built in 1959 operating near Mumbai but her engine will not be in as regular use (if, indeed it runs at all) as the engine in the ‘ALGOMA NAVIGATOR’. Just a point of interest, that’s all, but maybe a significant point in history for the Doxford marine diesel engine........... letter received from newsclippings reader Alan Dodd